Job Opening: In-House – Fully Remote – BI Paralegal – American Family Insurance
If you meet the qualifications for the job, feel free to use my name as the person who referred you – Linda M. Cruz – Apply Here
Job Summary – Performs or supports a variety of law-related activities that do not require a law degree, including legal or factual research, contract administration, document preparation and analysis, citation checking and trial preparation. Responsibilities are within the Legal Support Function as a generalist or in a combination of Disciplines. The Paralegal II is an intermediate level position that provides effective support in defined phases of the litigation or non-litigation process. You will report to a legal services manager.
Compensation Minimum:$26.24 Hourly
Compensation Maximum:$42.04 Hourly
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.
Job Level Summary
- Requires working knowledge and skills to perform a defined set of operational processes.
- Applies experience and skills to complete assigned work within own area of expertise.
- Works within standard operating procedures.
- Works with a moderate degree of supervision.
- Assists attorney in trial preparation .
- Drafts pleadings, discovery documents, motions, deposition summaries, abstracts, correspondence and legal memorandums under the supervision of an attorney.
- Collection in – organization, summarization and evaluation of medical records in the discovery process and for trial preparation.
- Conducts investigation and discovery under limited supervision.
- Drafts discovery responses and assists in preparation of witnesses and demonstrative evidence for trial.
- Assists attorney in complex depositions, hearings, trials and other similar settings, as needed.
- Represents insured or the company in small claims / conciliation court for defense or subrogation if applicable by jurisdiction.
- Reviews files to determine issues, records needed and the possibility of settlement.
- Performs legal research using all available resources to identify the most current and applicable law.
- Assists in the training, developing and mentoring of staff.
- May travel up to 10%
Specialized Knowledge & Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service.
- Demonstrated experience performing legal research, conducting investigations, gathering and summarizing medical records, indexing depositions, gathering evidence and preparing exhibits for trial, with minimal assistance.
- Demonstrated experience preparing pleadings, motions, deposition summaries, discovery responses, and other legal correspondence with minimal assistance.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of insurance, legal ethics rules and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated experience with various PC software applications, legal research tools and trial applications. (e.g. Microsoft Office Suites, Internet Explorer, Outlook, Acrobat, Westlaw and Trial Pad).
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of tort and contract law, legal procedures, legal terminology, and the judicial system.
- Associate degree in a Paralegal program, or a Paralegal Certification, or a BA degree, or one year of law school, and minimum of five years’ experience in the legal field is preferred
- Automobile liability insurance defense experience required, preferably in a staff counsel setting
- Experience in general liability (e.g., premises liability)
- Knowledge of Florida automobile liability insurance laws and regulations
- Knowledge of using the electronic court filing systems in Florida
- Experience in ordering medical records and drafting medical chronologies
- Experience with the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure
- Experience independently drafting dispositive/non-dispositive motions or other pleading
- Experience drafting discovery responses
- Excellent written and verbal skills required
- Review and manage files in a paperless system
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visa) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
This position is remote in Florida. We may ask you for attendance at trials, depositions, mediations and team and company engagement events. You may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement in the State of Florida based on someone’s location. We know flexibility is important to our employees and their families, and we will continue to offer this flex office/home role. This approach will guide us in balancing the needs of the business, customers and our employees.