Job Opening: Geico – Legal Secretary II – West Palm Beach, FL
GEICO seeks an experienced Legal Secretary to join the GEICO Staff Counsel office in West Palm Beach, FL. A successful candidate will assist attorneys in defending civil litigation matters. Under general supervision, responsibilities will include:
- Prepares pleadings, routine motions, notices, jury demands, routine discovery, and correspondence of a non-dictated nature, within the case management system, for attorney review and signature; manages and monitors the status of court filings and suits via mail, in-person, or e-filing.
- Maintains attorney calendars by scheduling, rescheduling, confirming, and/or canceling appointments within agreed parameters; may schedule other appointments, including but not limited to conferences, examinations under oath, and depositions; creates diary entries, journals, and statistical records for the attorneys.
- Reviews invoices to ensure compliance with the expense management & controls memorandum; prepares checks in accordance with established procedures and sends to the appropriate individual to facilitate payment.
- Answers, screens, and logs voicemail messages and incoming/outgoing calls to GEICO personnel, clients, claimants, opposing counsel and /or courts for the Attorneys; greets visitors.
- Assists with data collection and prepares departmental reports for Staff Counsel Attorneys.
- Responds to general inquiries regarding office procedure and appointments; refers complex inquiries to the appropriate Attorney or support staff member for further handling.
- Sorts, logs, distributes, date-stamps and/or files items received by mail; performs basic faxing, scanning, typing, filing, and copying requests.
- Organizes and maintains court case files to include opening, closing, and storage.
- Meets attendance standard at business location to perform necessary job functions and to facilitate interaction with management and co-workers.
- Tracks office supply inventory and orders additional supplies as needed.
- Tracks, receives or secures check draft stock.
- May participate in the training and onboarding process for Staff Counsel Support Staff.
- Adheres to the GEICO Code of Conduct, company policies and operating principles.
- Must have the ability to type at least 50 words per minute.
- Position requires a minimum of 2 years’ experience as a Staff Counsel legal secretary or 4 years’ experience as a legal secretary handling personal injury litigation matters.
- Must be able to, with or without accommodation, perform the essential functions which include, but are not limited to seeing, hearing, typing and speaking.
- Work activities involve combinations of sitting, walking, kneeling, climbing, pulling, bending, lifting, carrying and standing for extended periods.
- Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting skills.
- Must be able to multi-task.
- Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information.
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Based on jurisdiction, may need to obtain and maintain a notary license.