From NNA: Can I Perform A Marriage For An Undocumented Immigrant?

Can I perform a marriage ceremony for an undocumented immigrant? The groom is a U.S. citizen, but the bride is not.S.M., Orlando, Florida

Yes, you may perform the ceremony. There are two qualifications for you to perform the ceremony: The couple must obtain a valid Florida marriage license to present to you, and then the bride and groom should present identification. The Florida Governor’s Reference Manual states (p. 16), “The notary should also require identification if the bride and groom are not personally known.” If the bride has an appropriate ID then you may proceed with the ceremony.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST

Leave a Reply