Florida Notaries – become a Remote Online Notary Public
Effective 1/1/2020, notaries in Florida can now become Remote Online Notaries and perform notaries online. The total cost is $30, and your RON will expire at the same time as your regular notary, if your regular notary is close to expiring, you may want to renew it first.
The steps are outlined here:
- You must currently be a notary public, if you aren’t a notary public, you need to become one first.
- You must have a $25,000 notary bond.
- You must also have a minimum of $25,000 insurance.
- You must successfully complete a 2 hour online education course and receive a certificate to submit with your application. The course is $20 and is available online here.
- Have a system in place for performing online notarizations (such as DocVerify, Docusign or Notarycam)
- Review the applicable statutes and rules before applying. The enacting statute is the “Electronic Legal Documents” (Chapter 2019-71, Laws of Florida). Additionally, 1N-7001, Florida Administrative Code outlines the duties and responsibilities of online notaries as well as the procedures for applying.
Florida Remote Online Notary Certificate Course (as of 1/3/2020 this is the only course option listed on SunBiz – there may be other courses available now)
Application (you need the certificate from the completed course to include with the application)
Questions about Remote Online Notary may be directed to the Notary Section at 850.245.6975 or email@example.com.