Job Opening: Paralegal/Investigator & Team Lead (Tobacco Lit) – WPB – Searcy Denney
About Searcy Denney Scarola Barnhart & Shipley P.A.
Searcy Denney Scarola Barnhart & Shipley, P.A. (www.SearcyLaw.com) is a nationally recognized trial law firm committed to protecting and defending the rights of people injured through negligence, improper conduct, deceit or abuse of power. The firm has represented clients in courtrooms throughout Florida and across the nation, for over 40 years.
Essential Job Functions
The West Palm Beach office is seeking a paralegal/investigator and team lead to both support an assigned group of attorneys and lead administrative support staff in day-to-day responsibilities.
- Interview and screen clients
- Request, organize and summarize medical records and bills
- Conduct legal research – medical, scientific, technical, product information
- Organize medical examinations
- Liaise with and interview experts and medical personnel
- Communicate with insurance carrier and opposing counsel
- Organize and summarize depositions
- Prepare medical chronologies and medical expense itemizations
- Review damage information and calculate damages
- Create and maintain damage summaries
- Prepare and compile discovery responses
- Prepare motions and demand letters
- Prepare settlement proposals and statements
- Assist in trial preparation, including witness preparation and exhibit lists
- Schedule expert depositions and pre-deposition meetings
- Produce records for expert, deposition transcripts and errata sheets
- Assist in courtroom during trial
- Prioritizes and makes work assignments for support staff to ensure that attorneys receive appropriate support and assistance with caseloads
- Trains and instructs administrative staff on team operating procedures
- Oversees the preparation of documents and other related materials
- Approves timesheets and vacation requests for support staff
Education, Qualifications, and Certifications
Must become a Florida registered paralegal within 12 months of start date.
Five or more years of experience in plaintiff litigation in Personal Injury cases.
Experience using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.) required.
Must be familiar with trial preparation, preparing exhibits and deposition designations, and summarizing medical records
Trial Works experience preferred.
Knowledge and Abilities
Ability to communicate effectively.
Knowledge of correct English usage, spelling, punctuation, and legal terminology.
Ability to lead a team.
Knowledge of the techniques of giving information and explaining instructions and guidelines.
Knowledge of administrative hearing and court rules and procedures.
Ability to follow complex instructions.
Knowledge of legal terminology and syntax, and of the content, organization, and format of legal documents and correspondence.
Ability to compose correspondence and reports.
Knowledge of personal computers, hardware, software, and related applications and systems.
Ability to maintain composure during stressful situations occurring as a result of workloads and/or deadlines.
Physical Activities & Requirements
Standing for sustained periods of time.
Lift, push or pull up to 25 lbs.
Interested candidates should contact Michelle Kovacs at firstname.lastname@example.org.